The online newspaper of Canyon High School

‘The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe’ makes perfect family film for holiday season

“The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,” the first movie of “The Chronicles of Narnia” series based upon the novels by C.S. Lewis, is the perfect movie to enjoy during the holiday season.

When the four Pevensie children are forced to leave their home country due to airplane bombings in London, they are unsure of what is to come.  However, soon they discover another land, one just beyond the wardrobe. 

During a game of hide and seek, the youngest sister Lucy, who is played by Georgie Henley, discovers a wardrobe filled with old coats and mothballs.  The extraordinary wardrobe takes her to a mysterious land called Narnia. 

Narnia is full of extravagant and odd creatures.  Lucy quickly makes friends and shares tea with a faun named Mr. Tumnus, played by James McAvoy.  Mr. Tumnus is a slave to the corrupt White Witch, played by Tilda Swinton, who makes Narnia “always winter but never Christmas”.

Lucy leaves Narnia, only to find that her brothers and sisters, Peter (William Moseley), Edmund (Skandar Keynes) and Susan (Anna Popplewell) are still playing the same game of hide and seek.  Lucy shares her adventure with her siblings, who doubt its authenticity.   

All four children travel back to Narnia and share many extraordinary undertakings there, come against the many problems the inhabitants face, and meet Aslan (voiced by Liam Neeson), the lion who guides them throughout their journey.

Narnia takes you on an adventure that is sure to fascinate you. It will capture you with its deeper meaning and excitement, and it is a suitable film for the whole family.