The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Say no to graphic novel adaptations

“The Losers.” “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.” “Captain America.” “Thor.” “Iron Man 2.” Look closely at upcoming movies or ones to be released soon and you’ll find that the vast majority are adaptations of comic books or graphic novels.

Hollywood has had a long history of making movies based on comic books or graphic novels, with some of the most successful being Christopher Nolan’s re-vamp of Batman and the film version of Frank Miller’s Sin City and 300. Some of these movies have stuck closely to the themes of the comic books that spawned them, and some, like 300, even kept the art style of Miller in the movie.

However, there have been movie adaptations of comic books that made me feel like vomiting profusely and then pouring the vomit all over the director’s head. Movies that fall in this category would be X-Men Origins: Wolverine, any Batman movie not directed by Christopher Nolan or Tim Burton, all of the Spider-Man movies, the Fantastic Four movies, and the first Hulk movie.

It seems like every time I look on IMDb or ComingSoon.net, every other blurb about a movie is an adaptation of a popular comic book or an Indie graphic novel. “The Losers” is based on a graphic novel series written by Andy Diggle and illustrated by Jock, and was published by DC Comics imprint Vertigo, which caters to more mature readers. “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” is based on an Indie graphic novel series  by Bryan Lee O’Malley. “Iron Man 2,” “Captain America,” and “Thor” are all based on popular Marvel comics, while the upcoming Aquaman and Green Lantern films are based on popular DC comics.

Now, I don’t have a problem with Hollywood making adaptations of comic books. I love being able to see some of my favorite actors play my favorite superheroes. However, what I do have a problem with is the rampant adaptation decay in the movies. Hollywood will often change key points in the story to make it more “accessible” or friendly to the current ideals of society. For example, one of my biggest beefs with the Iron Man movie is the fact that they had Arabs kidnap Tony Stark instead of Viet Cong. Iron Man is an old comic, and I felt that the modernization killed the feel that the original comics exuded.

Another thing movies very rarely capture is the mood that the art captures in comic books. I didn’t enjoy “The Surrogates” as much as I could have, considering it’s one of my favorite graphic novels, because they didn’t capture the gritty feel of the original art. While the graphic novel tended to have more shady, darker tones in the scenery and characters, the movie was more bright, shiny, and futuristic. The movie didn’t feel like The Surrogates to me, and I enjoyed it as a completely separate entity.

So, to sum it all up, seeing a preview for an adaptation of comic books and graphic novels I love is bittersweet. It makes me happy, but it also scares me. Who knows what trash they might grind out for the absolutely profound plots of my comics? I’d rather not find out.

View Comments (1)