• July 20Look for us on Facebook as The Eagle's Tale and on Twitter and Instgram @EaglesTaleEds

iConnect center implements new guidelines for Chromebooks

Junior Jonah Ramirez works with a Chromebook in the iConnect center.

Cambry King

Cambry King

iConnect director Jessica Ray announced a new Chromebook checkout policy Friday, Jan. 12 at the senior class meeting.

Under the new policy, if students require extra Chromebooks or chargers, they must check the materials out before school. If a student leaves class to check out a Chromebook or charger, the student receives an automatic teacher detention. Students may only check out a Chromebook twice in the iConnect center before receiving a detention.

“We had a lot of students either not charging their Chromebooks or forgetting them,” principal Tim Gilliland said. “The center spent an abnormal amount of time checking out Chromebooks to students, an issue that should not be happening. This is more of a corrective approach to our students, helping them remember to bring their items to class.”

This is more of a corrective approach to our students, helping them remember to bring their items to class.”

— Jessica Ray

Senior Parker Duggan said the ChromeSquad faced other issues in addition to spending too much time checking out Chromebooks during the first semester.

“We’d run out of Chromebooks,” Duggan said. “Then it’s kind of weird, because somebody would be like, ‘Can I have a Chromebook to do my work?’ and I’d be like, ‘No, you actually can’t, because we ran out.’”

The ChromeSquad not only runs the iConnect center but also performs minor maintenance on and provides assistance with Chromebooks.

“My students couldn’t do anything productive, because all we would do all day was check out Chromebooks,” Ray said. “Then, kids wouldn’t return them at the end of the day, so we would hunt down Chromebooks. Hopefully, with this new implementation, we can start doing things that are more helpful to students and helpful to teachers.”

With more time to work, the ChromeSquad currently is creating instructional videos, beginning to repairing screens and practicing using Google programs.

“As students, we use Google Docs and Slides a lot, because we have projects and presentations we work on,” Duggan said. “As ChromeSquad members, we’re supposed to be able to help kids use whatever Google form they need. One thing we don’t use a lot in our classes is Google Sheets. We’re going through these steps so we can help students, or teachers even, if they need help with Sheets.”

Gilliland said the new policy allows the Chromesquad more time to work because it reminds students of their responsibilities.

“Normally, when you talk about something, it’s a good reminder for students,” Gilliland said. “It gets it back on their brain, and they just start doing what they should do.”

Ray said students can take several steps to avoid having to check out a Chromebook or charger.

“Plug your Chromebook in every night,” Ray said. “When you plug your phone in, plug your Chromebook in. It’s going to last throughout the day. You can drop your Chromebook off to be charged in here without a penalty.”