‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

"Smallfoot" was recently released digitally and is available for purchase on most streaming platforms.

Aryauna Thompson

Aryauna Thompson

Aryauna Thompson

High in the Himalayan mountains, among a sea of clouds, there is a secret and magical place. This city in the clouds is a refuge, protecting its people from the most elusive and dangerous threat of all—the humans. Or shall I say, the “Smallfoot.”

“Smallfoot” was recently released digitally and is available for purchase on most streaming platforms. While its projected demographic is elementary audiences, “Smallfoot” brings warm-hearted fun and powerful messages to the big screen which can be appreciated by all, as well as some jokes and references which will amuse the adult just as much as, if not more than, the child.

This unique twist on the traditional “bigfoot” story encourages curiosity, friendship and authenticity in a family-friendly and lighthearted manner. The script of the movie was direct enough to keep younger audience members captivated but entertaining enough to muster up chuckles from each seat in the theater. Everything from the dialogue to the animation to the music was engaging and enjoyable.

Smallfoot’ brings warm-hearted fun and powerful messages to the big screen which can be appreciated by all.”

— Aryauna Thompson, 12

With cast members such as James Corden, Zendaya, Common, LeBron James and Channing Tatum to name a few — this family musical/fantasy film brings unique personalities and undeniable talents together to create something truly amazing. Corden introduces the crowd to Percy, one of the only humans in the film, and provides a brand of humor so unique only Corden could. Tatum voices Migo, the yeti protagonist, who sets out to prove the existence of the “Smallfoot” with the help of some friends and the human himself. Through these two characters, audiences learn the power of friendship, the importance of truth and the meaning of integrity.

There are multiple songs scattered throughout the movie, but Zendaya‘s “Wonderful Questions” and Common’s “Let It Lie” were two of the most striking. The soul of “Wonderful Questions” is moving, and evokes a sense of awe and appreciation for life in each character and audience member alike. Her voice cuts through to the heart and left me with chills. In stark contrast, Common’s “Let It Lie” brought modern rap to the stage in a family-friendly, pun-filled and modern setting. The contrast of music throughout the movie brings an interesting and unique flair to the plot which could not have otherwise been obtained.

The animation of the film brings the characters to life and makes the yetis seem more human than the “Smallfoot.” Each of the characters bring a unique charm and wonder sure to enchant audiences both young and old. The imagination of the film was incredible and is bound to evoke childlike joy in even the grinchiest of viewers.

“Smallfoot” is much more than a children’s movie about magical creatures. Through its musical selections, star-studded cast, lighthearted fun and meaningful lessons, the film is engaging to all ages and a worthwhile investment of time to see.

About the Contributor
Aryauna Thompson, Staff Reporter

Hello! This is my third year as a staff reporter on The Eagle's Tale staff. I am incredibly excited to yet again work with such an incredible team of journalists....

1 Comment

One Response to “‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks”

1. James Barrington on December 20th, 2018 8:36 am

We need to find this movie on DVD or Netflix to watch on Christmas Eve. 🙂 It sounds like fun.

I love you!
    Grandpa

*

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

‘Mary Poppins Returns’ with magic, charm, wit of original

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

“The Grinch” steals audience hearts, Christmas

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

The overrated express

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Movies

The Santa Clause claws way to top

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

Buff’s breakfast great for the herd

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

Super Smash Bros ‘Ultimate’ crossover

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

New restaurant puts the ‘buen’ in ‘buenos dias’

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

From the archives: Is the museum haunted?

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

AJR album reaches deluxe quality

• ‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks

Arts & Entertainment

Within These Walls

‘Smallfoot’ leaves big tracks