Filed under Recent Posts, Sports

Huseman, Hughes medal at UIL State Track and Field Meet

Isaac Huseman receives his first place state medal in shot put at the State UIL Track and Field Meet in Austin.

Courtesy of Sherita Huseman

Courtesy of Sherita Huseman

Following their qualification at the regional meet, seven students traveled to Austin to compete in the UIL State Track and Field Meet on May 11. Senior Isaac Huseman and junior Audrey Hughes medaled in shot put with Hughes earning a third place medal and Huseman claiming the title of state shot put champion.

Freshman Gabi Davis competed in 3200, 1600 and 800 meter runs. The 4 x 400 relay team consisting of senior Madi Rolan, junior Caitlynne Speegle, sophomore Alyssa Harris, freshman Ryleigh Taylor and alternates junior Maddy Brown and freshman Bailey St. Romaine also competed at the state level. 

“Before I was about to throw, I felt nervousness and determination, because who wouldn’t be nervous there, and I think anyone who had made it that far would be determined,” Huseman said. “I used these feelings to my advantage and threw 56 feet 3 inches and three quarters of an inch, which was my legal best even though I’ve thrown farther in warm-ups.”

It seems like more people know me now that I’m a state champion, but I feel the same as before.”

— Isaac Huseman, 12

Following competing at Mike Myers Stadium, Huseman returned home as a state champion.

“It seems like more people know me now that I’m a state champion, but I feel the same as before,” Huseman said.  “I owe my success to Coach McCloskey, who taught me how to throw and supported me from the beginning, and my parents who tried to be there for every meet which was really cool of them. My family also tried to be there for all my meets, so it’s been great having them around”

Hughes said earning a state medal was uplifting for multiple reasons.

“When I won a medal at state, I felt like I really achieved what I had set out to do all season,” Hughes said. “It was a great feeling. Medaling at state this year makes me look forward to next year, especially because we are moving to 4-A. I think this will open a lot more opportunity for not only me, but for my team.”

About the Writers
Braden Lefevre, Associate Editor
Hey there! I’m Braden Lefevre, and I am a senior at Canyon High. This is my third and final year to serve as a member of The Eagle’s Tale Staff, and I am elated and honored to serve as an associate editor of this stellar publication. I am also the senior drum major of the...
Mackenzie Grimes, Staff Reporter
Hello. I am Mackenzie Grimes and in the last year of my high school career. I enjoy writing, fishing, competing in track and field, working out, and being with friends and family. God is a huge part of my life and the center of all the things I love and enjoy. I am more than...