Filed under Sports

Varsity football tackles Brownwood

Senior Brayden Bartlett and the rest of the football team introduce themselves at Meet the Eagle Aug. 29.

Victoria Bell

Victoria Bell

The varsity football team will play Monahans Friday, Sept. 2 at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium.

The game will be their second, following a three point victory over state-ranked Brownwood. The Eagles started off the game slowly, with a scoreless first half. Coming back out after halftime, senior Kagan Bradley said the team came out much better and came away with the win.

“We felt that Brownwood was going to be very tough, and we were going to have to be very prepared to play them,” Bradley said. “We practiced hard all week and we also watched a lot of film to get prepared for the game.”

At the end of regulation play, the Eagles and Lions were tied at 14. After overtime, neither team had scored. In double overtime, senior Dayne Douglass ran in the game-winning touchdown.

“When they called the play I knew I had to get in the end zone or the game would be over and we would lose,” Douglass said. “Everyone on our line did everything they could to give us that chance. Once I got in I was so excited to see our team beat a ranked opponent like Brownwood.”

Going into the game, the Eagles were picked to lose. The team’s theme for the year is “prove them wrong.” Douglass said the lower expectations have driven the team to work harder.

We are coming to make a statement.”

— Dayne Douglass

“We are coming to make a statement,” Douglass said. “We are going to be more prepared than our opponent and outwork them no matter the situation.”

The Eagles practice after school every day and watch film in preparation for each game. Douglass said the upcoming game will be no exception and the team will be ready.

“We are going to learn from our mistakes and make ourselves better in areas we notice on the field,” Douglass said. “I have always been told that great teams make major improvements from game one to game two, and I firmly believe that.”

About the Writer
Callie Boren, Fall Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hey! My name is Callie Boren, and I am Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Eagle’s Tale. This is my third and final year on staff. I am also the National Honor Society president, senior class president, an officer in the Chamber Choir, and a member of the UIL journalism team and Quill and Scroll Honor Society. In...