The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Boys cross country season up and running

The varsity cross country boys have been challenged to compete against the top 3A, 4A and 5A teams in the state. 

The first meet was Greenhills Relay in Dallas. The boys placed tenth out of all schools, regardless of school size. 

Next up was the Marcus High meet in Denton.  The Marcus Invitational was a success for the boys as they placed second overall. Josh Backus ran a personal best time, placing second out of all 4A boys.

From Marcus, the cross country team decided to stay close to home, running in the Amarillo Invitational against all panhandle teams. Josh Backus once again had a favorable race, placing second overall with the team placing third with only one point separating them from second place. A new face showed up at on the team at Amarillo as Mesa Allison, a freshman, scored seventeenth overall in his first race.

To improve their reputation in the Panhandle, the team decided to run in the Lubbock Invitational.  The team had another solid race, placing third out of all 4A teams with Josh Backus and Will Welling placing fourth and ninth overall.

The upcoming race is Oct. 3 at Oklahoma State University.  The team is looking forward to running in this premiere meet with teams from Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Kansas.