The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Music students to audition for all-state this weekend

Seven choir students and ten band members will travel to Abilene and audition this weekend for the opportunity to represent Canyon High School in the All-State Band or Choir.

Choir auditions will take place at Abilene Cooper High School and band auditions at Abilene Christian University.  Band members must be in the top 30 percent of their sections to make the All-State Band.  From the top 30 percent around the state, students try out to make the All-State Symphonic Band or the All-State Concert Band.  Choir students make up three different state choirs.  The mixed choir requires participants to place in the top four of the 20 in their section and a men’s and women’s choir mandates a placement in the top six of the 20 in their section.

“It takes a great deal of dedication to even be able to go to participate at this level,” band director Mike Sheffield said.  “It is an incredibly difficult contest.”

Contestants are from four different areas across the state of Texas, from Perryton to the Dallas Metroplex and everywhere in-between. Approximately 200 musicians will audition with band and more than 100 for choir.

“At this competition everyone is good,” choir director Brandon Farren said.  “People who make it are great musicians.  They’re the people who eternalize and progress musically.  They’re not just reading notes.”

Senior Trey Andrews said he has put in a lot of work and time in preparation for this audition.

“To me personally, this competition means a lot,” Andrews said. “I’m very nervous about how my voice is going to sound against big 5A guys, but with Farren’s help I feel like I’m right up there with them.  Josiah Robinson and Haly Cordell encourage me to try my hardest and I’m really happy for them to be going with me.”

All-State Bands and Choirs will rehearse and perform for the Texas Music Educators Association in San Antonio Feb. 10-13.