The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Community raises $20,472 for coach’s cancer battle

Senior Wyatt Sippy shoots the ball during the Jan. 4 game against Lubbock Monterey.

Students and community members raised $20,472 Friday night during the Coaches vs. Cancer games to help support Coach Guy Crenshaw with his battle against cancer.

The funds raised will assist Crenshaw in his trip to MD Anderson in Houston this week.

“I think the money raised is really good for him and his family,” senior Wyatt Sippy said. “I’m sure it takes some of the pressure off. He’s meant a lot to me, and I’m really happy to see that the whole community has cared this much about him.”

The boys’ team faced the Monterey Plainsmen in their last non-district game Friday. After a rocky start in the first half, the Eagles came back to win 49-40. Canyon’s next game is Friday against Caprock beginning at 7:30 p.m. in Canyon.

“It was a good win for how unorganized we played,” Sippy said. “It’s good to know that we may have off games and can still win.”

The varsity girls’ basketball team defeated Randall in their district opener by a final score of 36-26. The Lady Eagles will face Dumas tomorrow night in Dumas at 6 p.m.