The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Eagles upset Matadors, 17-14

The varsity football team faced the 4-0 Lubbock Estacado Matadors Friday night, Sept. 16.

Battling at home in front of a homecoming crowd, the Eagles fought hard to end up on top 17-14. Canyon was predicted by the Harris ratings to lose by 21 to the Matadors.

The first points of the game were scored with 31 seconds left in the first quarter when Estacado’s quarterback, Shaquille Bogus, ran three yards for a touchdown. Gary Cervantes’s extra point put the Matadors on the board, 7-0.

The second quarter was a battle between the defenses until the last 39 seconds when Canyon’s senior quarterback Travis Cosby ran and stretched for the four-yard touchdown. The first half ended tied 7-7 after senior Austin Weaver’s extra point.

Estacado scored again eight minutes into the third quarter with a five-yard run by Bogus, and Cervantes’s kick put the Matadors up14-7.

Canyon scored again in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter with a 17-yard touchdown catch by sophomore Blake Weaver and a good PAT kick from his brother, Austin. The score was tied yet again at 14-14.

The Eagles got their first lead of the game with only 31 seconds left in the game with a 21-yard field goal made by Austin Weaver.

With the Matadors on the Canyon 37 with a first down and only 10 seconds left on the clock, the Eagles clenched their victory when junior Dak Olsen knocked the touchdown pass by Bogus to Jalen Moore away.

The Eagles will play their first district game at home against the Palo Duro Dons this Friday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.