The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Four choir students earn all-state honors

Of the 24 music students who tried out for the area band and choir, four choir members will represent the school on the state level at the All-State Choir Feb. 16 in San Antonio.

Senior Blair Carpenter and juniors Chandess Yerby, Jenci Jones and Janae Robinson advanced on to the state women’s choir after competing on the district, regional, pre-area and area levels.

“It was a huge relief to make it,” Carpenter said. “I woke up sick that morning and I was really worried I wasn’t going to make it. I grew as a musician because of the process, and I got a huge patch for my letter jacket.”

Jones and Robinson said they agreed with Carpenter about making the choir.

“It feels marvelous to have made it, because we’ve been trying for three years and we finally made it,” Robinson said. “It was challenging to motivate myself to practice over the Christmas break, but the trip to Austin is worth it.”

No band members made it on to the state level, but sophomore Brittain Mudge and junior Ephraim Lorenz said they enjoyed the trip, and they will just practice more next year.

“The trip in itself was fun…until the audition,” Lorenz said. “Then it took five hours of sleep and Five Finger Death Punch to get over it. I think if you can fight your nerves during the audition, you can do really well. Next year I’ll  just practice more and start as soon as the music comes out.”

Mudge placed second place in the clarinet section, and Lorenz came out fifth of bassoons. At the area level in band, only the first chair goes on to state.

“I thought I was going to come out last,” Mudge said. “I think everyone thinks they’re going to come out last at that level, though. Now I know what to expect for next year.”