The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Swift sweeps album sales with “Red”

Kori Adair
Taylor Swift graces the cover of her new album.

Taylor Swift’s album “Red,” which was released two weeks ago, was well worth the almost two-year wait. 

“Red” is Swift’s fourth album, following “Sparks Fly,” “Fearless,” and her self-titled album. “Red” sold over 1.208 million copies the first week alone, the highest weekly sales for any artist in over a decade.

“Red” maintains the pop-country sound that Swift is known for, but, unlike her past albums, leans more Top 40 than country. The album resonates with a more mature sound due to the slower songs, relaxed, airy vocals and more acoustic guitar as comparative to her previous albums.  The songs encompass everything from the beginning of relationships, tragic love and the pitfalls of fame. “Red” also includes collaborations with artists such as Gary Lightbody and Ed Sheeran.

“Red” contains upbeat, pop songs such as “We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Back Together,” which is guaranteed to be stuck in your head for like, ever, along with “Holy Ground,” “22” and “I Knew You Were Trouble.”  Slower tracks on the album include “All Too Well,” “The Last Time,” and “Sad Beautiful Tragic.”

“Red” not only contains songs that are extremely catchy and radio-ready, but songs that are deeper and more somber as well. Fans of Swift’s earlier works will not be disappointed, while many who did not prefer Swift’s previous songs may find that they enjoy the mature tone of “Red”.