The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Spring blood drive open to 16 year olds for the first time

Rachel Smith
    Senior Abby Velasquez donates blood during the fall blood drive in October.

Participants in the Coffee Memorial Spring Blood Drive next week have the opportunity to honor Guy Crenshaw and his fight against cancer.

Key Club will host the drive Wednesday, Feb. 27 in the upper commons. Kids Inc. sponsors Donor Days throughout the month of February and will award $2500 to the high school with the most units per student. If Canyon High wins, Key Club will give the winnings to the Crenshaw benefit fund.

For the first time, 16 year olds are allowed to donate with parental consent. Contact Lance Culbert in 1306 to sign up. Students who are 16 years old must contact Culbert a week before the blood drive. Donors must be at least 115 pounds and fit a specific height-to-weight ratio.

According to Americasblood.org, about 4.5 million people will need a blood transfusion this year. A pint of blood can save up to three lives and each person can give about a pint.

“There is a shortage of blood, especially during the winter months,” Culbert said. “But the demand for blood never goes down. School blood drives are important and help save lives.”

Parents can also donate blood and be a part of the competition by going to the Coffee Memorial Blood Center and donating for Canyon High.

“The first time I donated, my pulse was 160,” Culbert said. “I was so nervous I almost passed out, but I did it. If I can do it, anyone can.”