Underrated playlist brings Christmas cheer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Music provides Christmas spirit around the holidays.

Claire Meyer

Claire Meyer

Claire Meyer

Music has always been a vital part of Christmas. It brings a sense of love and giving to the season. However, I’m not entirely sure how many times I can listen to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas (Is You)” before my holiday spirit wants to do something horribly drastic. Well, the jig is finally up. Enough is enough. This year, I have resorted to making an alternative playlist filled with underrated festive music.

This year, I have resorted to making an alternative playlist filled with underrated festive music.”

— Claire Meyer, 11

According to certain radio stations, “Jingle Bells” seems unrivaled, but there are perfect alternatives to the typical tune which make the season just as bright. “Christmas Is A Comin’” is at the top of my list. It’s upbeat, humorous and Bing Crosby never fails to add that special touch to a song. Something about it makes me feel like it should be better known. In archetypal Elvis Presley fashion, “Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)” and “Blue Christmas” are very ’60s. The former is simply fun, not overly complicated and just a good piece. The latter is slower, and a little gloomier, but in a way, that’s perfect. With an event as huge as Christmas, highs will undoubtedly be accompanied by similar lows.

Of course, there are many styles which lack attention throughout the holiday genre. If you’re looking for a more edgy vibe, “Fuselage (It’s Starting to Look Like Christmas Once Again)” is for you. Admittedly, it’s not anything too special, and if it wasn’t made for the holidays, I would write it off as a little grungy. Although, for the occasion it works and many younger people may agree. “The Gift” by Garth Brooks has many positives as well. It’s country, and tells a touching story many other songs do not share. It is wonderfully original, and anyone who hasn’t given it a listen is missing out. Another unheard of song is the theme to National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. It sounds silly, but it’s very catchy. At the very least, it makes me smile.

It sounds silly, but it’s very catchy. At the very least, it makes me smile.”

— Claire Meyer, 11

Funnily enough, my favorite holiday songs are not even considered such. “Simple Gifts” is a one-verse song with a tune written by Joseph Brackett. It speaks of what a present it is to be happy with a simple life. For such a short song, it packs a hefty punch, but a fitting one. So many people forget that gifts come in all shapes and sizes and in rare cases, are intaginable entirely. This song remedies that. Following this unconventional and more serious path, I also enjoy “Face Of Love” and “I Wonder As I Wander” by Jewel, both of which are included in her Joy: A Holiday Collection. I’m inclined to them more because of their sound than anything; they have a calming instrumental energy that sounds seasonal. All three of these beauties are somewhat melancholy and not traditional but worth a listen if you’re feeling the depth that comes with the bittersweet spirit of giving.

This isn’t to say I don’t enjoy the classics. Christmas simply wouldn’t be complete without a few rounds of “Joy to the World” and “Deck the Halls.” In fact, Wham!’s “Last Christmas” is my very favorite. Sometimes, though, it boosts holiday cheer to have some variety.

About the Contributor
Claire Meyer, Associate Editor

Hey hey! I’m Claire Meyer, a junior. I am thrilled to be returning to The Eagle’s Tale as associate editor. When I’m not practicing for UIL academics...