Baseball team up to bat for playoffs

Senior Kaden Gist pitches during a game against Palo Duro earlier in the season.

Erin Sheffield

Erin Sheffield

The baseball team will play Plainview this Friday at 5 p.m. before beginning playoffs.

The team of 19 players, including eight seniors, holds a record of 8-4. Practice began in early February, and district play began in March under the direction of head coach John Doan and assistant coaches Wade Williams, Ernest Trejo and Jed Anderson. Senior Brent Stockstill said he has set personal and team goals for the rest of the season.

“The team goal is to gradually increase as the season goes,” Stockstill said. “Not just start off on top, but grow as a team and get better every game. “

Stockstill said he pushes himself as well.

“It’s a weird feeling, because I’ve never been the senior or the old guy,” Stockstill said. “It’s different, because you have a lot more experience than everybody else.  I want to be a better teammate and help out the younger kids as needed.”

Junior Cade Olson said he looks forward to hitting in and out of the game to improve his performance for the team and himself.

I want to be a better teammate and help out the younger kids as needed.”

— Brent Stockstill, 12

“When we score, it usually creates a domino effect that trickles down the lineup,” Olson said.

Junior Cash Hamby said he has been waiting to play varsity since he was young.

“Knowing how long I’ve waited to be in this position I’m in and to be playing with the guys I’m playing with makes me want to get better every day,” Hamby said. “I know this feeling won’t be forever.”

Stockstill said he and his teammates devised a motto for the season.

“Our thing this season is ‘full send,’ meaning ‘don’t do anything halfway,’” Stockstill said. “Go all out, and do everything to the best ability you have.”

Hamby said he always looks forward to the intensity of the game.

“I’m most excited for how intense the games are,” Hamby said. “It’s a different feeling when you know your season could come to an end. It brings out a different energy in every one of us.”

Stockstill said the chemistry within the team has helped them progress throughout the year.

It’s a different feeling when you know your season could come to an end. It brings out a different energy in every one of us.”

— Cash Hamby, 11

“We’re pretty close as a team,” Stockstill said. “We’ve played with each other since Little League, so we’ve been together for a long time.”

Stockstill said the team members feel comfortable around each other and experience no real tension.

We try to communicate as well as we can when doing that we make each other’s jobs easier for each other,” Olson said.

Hamby said the team members hold high expectations for themselves. 

“I would be lying if I said I was surprised when we score or one of my teammates makes a play, but it’s something I see all the time,” Hamby said. “I expect the best out of them just like they expect the best out of me.”

About the Contributors
Mackenzie Grimes, Staff Reporter
Hello. I am Mackenzie Grimes and in the last year of my high school career. I enjoy writing, fishing, competing in track and field, working out, and being with friends and family. God is a huge part of my life and the center of all the things I love and enjoy. I am more than...
Erin Sheffield, Editor-in-Chief
Hullo! I’m a senior in my third year on staff and my second year as an editor-in-chief. You can catch most of my work in the news and blogs sections. When I’m not around the school with a camera and a press pass, I spend my time in choir, musical, various competitions and on my...