Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Girls basketball team wins state championship

Sophomore Angel Hayden shoots a free throw in the fourth quarter of the state championship game against Dallas Bryan Adams High School March 7.

Tristen Hefner

Tristen Hefner

Senior Brianne McDowell remembers looking up into the stands after losing to Hereford in district play and watching the crowd descend while chanting “Overrated! Overrated! Overrated!” As the team returned to their hotel in San Antonio, the chant could be heard through the halls, because for McDowell and her teammates, bringing home the school’s 17th state championship trophy doesn’t seem at all overrated.

The Lady Eagles finished their season March 7 with a victory over Bryan Adams High School in the 5A state championship. They ended the year with three losses, only one of which was against district opponent Hereford. After the defeat, the girls were ready to retreat to the locker room, but head coach Joe Lombard wasn’t.

“Coach Lombard made us stand there and listen to it,” McDowell said. “I think it gave us motivation to work harder and finish the season out strong.”

The Lady Eagles have a pattern of finishing strong. At the end of the first quarter of the championship game, they were ahead by only three points. By halftime, Canyon had raised the deficit to eight. Although Adams put up a fight in the fourth quarter, the Eagles finished the game on top with a final score of 48-41.

Now after winning state, it’s that much sweeter to hear the word ‘overrated.’”

— Savannah Bartlett, 12

“We could have done things differently from time to time, but overall it was great,” senior Savannah Bartlett said. “It was a team effort, and we couldn’t have won without the determination and dedication from everyone. We really wanted it and played like it. I am so proud of each and every girl.”

The championship title is the first Canyon has earned as a 5A school as well as the first 5A state championship played in San Antonio rather than Austin. The Lady Eagles also won the last 4A championship in Austin in 2014. “Back-to-back state champions” is now printed on team t-shirts over the word “overrated,” which appears in much smaller text.

“For the rest of the season Coach would refer to us as that if we weren’t doing well, just to motivate us,” Bartlett said. “Now after winning state, it’s that much sweeter to hear the word ‘overrated.’”

About the Contributors
Callie Boren, Fall Co-Editor-in-Chief

Hey! My name is Callie Boren, and I am Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Eagle’s Tale. This is my third and final year on staff. I am also the National Honor Society president, senior class president, an officer in the Chamber Choir, and a member of the UIL journalism team and Quill and Scroll Honor Society. In my free time I enjoy reading anything by C.S. Lewis, singing loudly to anything by Adele, watching musicals, and drinking excessive amounts of sweet tea. Next year I plan to major in communication sciences and disorders on the path to becoming a clinical audiologist. Until then, I look forward to another great year with the Eagle’s Tale staff!

Tristen Hefner, Video Editor

My name is Tristen Hefner and this will be third and final year on staff. I act as the video editor for the online newspaper. My favorite thing to do is play baseball, which I do over the summer, and when spring rolls around, I play for CHS. I have a job at Western Equipment which I started last summer cleaning tractors. I’m a pretty laid back person, and it’s pretty difficult to find something that bothers me. I am looking forward to an amazing senior year.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls basketball team wins state championship”

1. Nana wilkinson on March 9th, 2015 4:07 pm

Gr8 article Callie Boren. Loved the consistency of the theme, “overrated.” Well done!

*

• Girls basketball team wins state championship

Recent Posts

Boys, girls to run in Canyon Cross Country Invitational Saturday

Recent Posts

Football enters homecoming 4-0

Recent Posts

Players set for powderpuff football game

Recent Posts

Varsity volleyball begins district play

Recent Posts

Tennis team remains undefeated

Sports

Football game to determine ‘GOAT’

Recent Posts

Football team prepares for 4-A season

Recent Posts

Cross country begins season with 6 Mile Relays

Recent Posts

Volleyball team set for new 4-A season

Recent Posts

Huseman, Hughes medal at UIL State Track and Field Meet