The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Girls basketball holds number 1 district seed

The girls basketball team continues to be the district leader after clinching the number one seed for district 3-4A playoffs with a 63-8 win over Pampa Feb. 9.

Tuesday’s game against Pampa was the girls last home game.

“It’s kind of sad because us senior girls have been playing together since third grade,” Land said. “This was our last time to play in our home gym it was to a special night.”

The girls remain ranked second in state behind Timberview after a suffering a loss provided by the Lady Wolves.

The girls will most likely play Timberview in playoffs on their way to the state championship or in the championship game its self.

“It will be a revenge game to prove that we are number one in the state,” Vessels said. “We are excited to get the opportunity to play them again.”

The girls are currently 12-0 in district.

“It’s always fun to be in playoffs, and play for a state championship,” Vessels said. “I really believe we can win state this year.”

The girls enter playoffs with a 63.1 team scoring average. Leading individual scores are junior Nichole Hampton with a 15.5 average, senior Casey Land at 12.6, and Vessels at a 9.8 average per game.

“Individually, scoring is not important,” Land said. “To me it’s about how our team plays together. It’s cool this year because the high scorer is different every game.”