The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Golf team eyes upcoming tournaments

Golf team eyes upcoming tournaments

The varsity boys golf team competed Sept. 26 at the Plainview Triangular finishing third with a total score of 311. Junior John Barnes shot first for the team with a score of 76, five above par.  Senior Ryan Byrd shot second with a score of 78, six above par. Also competing were senior Tyler Atkins, 81, 9 above par, junior Austin Hammel, 83, eleven above par, and Matikul Boonyam, 76, five above par.

The team traveled to the Hereford Invitational Sept. 18-19 to open the 2009 season. The team placed first after completion of day one, one stroke ahead of Randall and two ahead of Amarillo High. But after second day scores were tallied, the team fell to third ending with a combined 614 strokes to the complete two-day tournament.

Atkins led the team with a score of 76, five above par on day one, and 75, four above par, on day two. Atkins finished the tournament with 151 strokes, eight above par, placing him seventh overall in the tournament. Barnes shot 72, one above par, day one, and 81, ten above par, day two, to total 153, eleven above par. Byrd shot 80, nine above par, day one, and 74, three above par, day two for a total of 154, eleven above par.

The team will compete Oct. 3 at the Amarillo Triangular Tournament in Amarillo at Comanche Trail, Oct. 10 at the CISD Triangular Tournament and Oct. 16-17 at the Dumas Invitational.