Filed under Opinion, Recent Posts

Protest for unity, not for chaos

Back to Article
Back to Article

Protest for unity, not for chaos

American citizens should focus on what unites the nation, not what divides it.

Aryauna Thompson

Aryauna Thompson

Aryauna Thompson

They parade down the roads with homemade signs, screaming for anyone to hear. In the eyes of some, they play the heroes during this confusing time in America. For others, they are no more than fools who appear to be talking just to hear their own voices. These protesters are neither heroes, nor villains; they are just like many in America–confused, scared, and hurting.

Less than a month ago, our country witnessed a peaceful exchange of power between our former Democratic president and our current Republican president. The process leading to the inauguration of President Donald Trump will go down in history. Many of our fellow Americans were convinced the election would have ended differently. Yet here we are.

Nowhere is safe from the claws of deception.”

— Aryauna Thompson, 10

In the crazy, messed up world we live in, any change in power is bound to create waves. Any change as drastic and unexpected as this will not only create waves; it will create Category 5 hurricanes. For many, the change in presidency has left them in a state of utter confusion and fear.

The population of America is unsettled. No one knows what will happen next. No one is certain of what the future holds, so they hold on to what they know is true. They cling to anything that justifies their feelings toward the man in power. The highly-anticipated election was bound to produce protesters, no matter the outcome. They appeared with signs in hands to act out against the president because they feel there is nothing else they can do to be heard.

Although we live in a democratic republic, many see the power of their voices to be insignificant. It is easy for people to believe we are doomed because events do not go exactly their way. They are scared because they are not in control and suffering because there is nothing they can do about it.

Whether we are parading the streets, watching from home, or avoiding the political turmoil altogether, we are all protesters.”

— Aryauna Thompson, 10

The country is lost. Stumbling through the dark with blindfolds over eyes and hands bound behind backs, the population of America is fed false information on a daily basis. Even the main sources of news are pitted against one another. Information has been skewed and butchered to the point that it is no more than gossip. Immigrants become “extremists,” the president becomes a “misogynist,” the police become “brutal,” and a common arrest becomes “possible terrorist activity.” Propaganda floods televisions, radios, computers, billboards, conversation, thoughts — nowhere is safe from the claws of deception.

Our country is wounded, and we are the ones inflicting the damage. Instead of rising together, we choose to tear each other down. Instead of supporting our government, we choose to bash it and protest. Instead of telling each other the truth, we choose to twist it to fit our needs.

Whether we are parading the streets, watching from home, or avoiding the political turmoil altogether, we are all protesters. Those marching the roads are neither heroes, nor villains in our current crippled state. They are just like the rest of us. We may be a country of states, but the state of our country is in turmoil. We can never “make America great again” if we are too busy protesting that which we cannot control. We are all human beings in search of life, liberty, and happiness. We must stop protesting against the actions of those whom we cannot control and start protesting the disunity of our nation.

About the Contributor
Aryauna Thompson, Staff Reporter

Hello! This is my third year as a staff reporter on The Eagle's Tale staff. I am incredibly excited to yet again work with such an incredible team of journalists....

1 Comment

One Response to “Protest for unity, not for chaos”

1. James Barrington on February 24th, 2017 9:30 am

Powerful insights, Aryauna.
    When protesters become hecklers, all free speech is challenged. Elections have always been a conflict of ideas and a conflict of agendas, but the exercise of the right to be heard and the right to vote has seldom, if ever, been questioned as in the elections of this century.
    This was another great piece of writing! Keep up the GREAT work!

*

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

1980s movies bring originality to cinema

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

The death of Valentine’s

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

Lessons from the life of MLK

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

To each his own

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Blogs

Music makes the movie

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

Mulan mirrors more than mere monarchy

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Blogs

Too much glitter to be genuine

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

Pepper pops to top

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

‘Do you remember?’

• Protest for unity, not for chaos

Opinion

A bug’s life … or death?

Protest for unity, not for chaos