The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Human trafficking campaign aims to end slavery

Jessica Moore

The voices of the slaves. The voices of the forgotten. The voices of the hurt. Silent.

Twenty-seven million people are in slavery today, more than ever before in history. While 99 percent of the slaves today won’t make it out, it’s our job to stop it. It’s our job to save them. Slavery must come to an end. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation more than 150 years ago and we have more slaves not than ever. We need to end it.

The debate team will host a human trafficking awareness campaign on Wednesday, March 27. This will be an all-day event to inform the school and public about human trafficking in America. KWTS will be in the commons from 7 – 9 in the morning broadcasting the event on 91.1 The One. Several students will also be wearing ‘End It’ T-shirts promoting this event. Anyone can ask these students questions about the movement. CHS will have a hat day the next day to raise money for this movement. All of the money raised will be sent to the Triumph House in Dallas through an organization called Traffick911. This shelter houses and cares for trafficking victims.

“The goal of the awareness campaign is to educate the student body and, through them, the community,” senior Jayden Beatty. “The key to this issue is that it is a local issue and not just a global one.”

Beatty is the president of the debate team and one of the leaders of  the movement at CHS.

“We have to be aware in order to make a difference,” Beatty said. “We want to inform our peers of the importance of this issue and why these victims desperately need our attention and help. Everyone needs to be aware of the signs of human trafficking so that they can help others and protect themselves from finding themselves in that situation.”

For more information about this project or what you can do for to help, contact Mrs. Suto or the debate team.