The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Trashy attitudes affects entire campus

It is difficult to write an editorial that should not have to exist. The hallways are strewn with crumpled papers; the microwaves are permanently stained by hardened pizza pockets; the paint is worn right off the banister railings and the commons are a mess. This is difficult to write, because it is not the negligence of any paid staff member, but of the student body itself that is the issue. Students have a general lack of respect for, and in fact, a complete denial of responsibility for the wear and tear on our school building.

The cleanliness of the school and the surrounding campus is the responsibility of the students. The disrespect our buildings are shown have a negative impact not only on current students and faculty, but on every person to walk the halls of Canyon High School.

The building itself aside, students should respect their learning environment for themselves, their peers and the school faculty. There is simply no reason to scribble one’s name on the wall, or leave lipstick kisses on mirrors, or ‘forget’ to pick up one’s trash after lunch. It only leaves an unnecessary mess for someone else. We, as humans reaching adulthood, should have the common sense and ability to do what we can to tidy up after ourselves. Our actions now do not only affect current students; the consequences of tearing the school apart will echo through classes for years to come.

On a broader scale, the ecological impact we have on our campus is something to consider. The infamous Texas Panhandle wind carries trash far and wide, meaning that anything left outdoors is liable to end up strewn about campus, or in the surrounding neighborhoods. Not only does our campus look unappealing, but these items can pose a hazard to the nearby livestock, to the soil, which has difficult decomposing most trash, and to the general cleanliness of our town. As humans in an eco-savvy generation, it is our duty to minimize our carbon footprint, and to minimize danger the items we use pose to our environment.

In our recent online poll, 7% of readers said the cleanliness of our campus was the job of the custodial staff. While they may receive a paycheck for their work, they also do a largely thankless job that could be made simpler by the courtesy, by the respect, of the students. Leaving a mess with the mentality that it’s someone else’s job to take care of it is juvenile and rude. Even if it is their job to clean, it is not fair to create extra work for the custodians, out of respect for them as our elders, and as fellow human beings.

A change of mentality is needed from students. The current state of our campus is unacceptable, which is the result of our carelessness. We must take action to clean up our act and clean up our school, if not for ourselves, for the future of Canyon and Canyon High School.