The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Self-expression or acting out?

As we walk down the halls, we notice how individuals dress. As we sit in class, we notice how individuals behave. As we socialize in the commons, we notice individuals’ interests. The walls of this school constantly bleed whispers of individuals. “Did you see how low cut her top is? I’m pretty sure he’s in the closet. Don’t they know you have to be thin to pull off those jeans? “

Teachers can stop a fight or an argument, but teachers can’t stop the whispers. Friends can protect us from harassment or embarrassment, but friends can’t protect us from people’s opinions. Students are told all the time, “if you see somebody being bullied, tell a teacher. If someone in school is picking on you, tell a teacher. If you know that somebody is having a hard time with rumors or drama, tell a teacher. Let a teacher take care of the problem.”

One thing students are not asked very often is, “Have you ever stopped to think that the more negatively you act out, the more negative attention you draw to yourself?”

My friend once told me, “It’s not like I’m walking around school searching for drama; drama finds me.”

I immediately replied, “Well, you do stick out.”

That’s when I truly realized that a person’s interests, behavior and appeal can offend others on various levels. It may not be on purpose, but personal mannerisms, personalities and ideals invite argument and judgment into daily life.

There is a fine line between personal expression and “acting out.” When someone acts out, they express beyond average measures. They try to mold their appearance into something they are not, something superficial.

When people wake up in the morning, they hardly ever stop, take a moment and look in the mirror to ask themselves if being who they are affects anyone in a negative way. They do not ask themselves if there is any way they can express their true feelings without drawing so much harmful attention, and if there is not, is acting a certain way worth all the dramatic feedback.

A handful of people cannot stand attention. Some can handle attention if necessary. Several enjoy a healthy dose of attention, while others seek it and even crave it.

We all know someone who may not enjoy attention, but who enjoys being unique, being someone who has a distinct aspect about them that not many others have. There is nothing wrong with being distinctive. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be different. Society would be boring if people didn’t express individuality, but when they do, they should do it with caution.

If we were born to be shining stars in a dull night sky, we should be proud. We live our lives by being ourselves.

But by developing an awareness of how we affect the people around us, we develop a new perspective of who we appear to be.