The online newspaper of Canyon High School

One author is inspired by another; news staffer attends volunteer luncheon featuring Ron Hall

Nobody knew what he was up to. He wouldn’t say a word. The only information we had was ‘It’s a surprise.’

English teacher Eric Folks arranged for City Church volunteers who have been attending every Thursday after school to attend the Heritage Hall April 8 for a luncheon dedicated to Ron Hall and Denver Moore, authors of “Same Kind of Different as Me” and “What Difference Do it Make?” More than nine hundred people attended and among the  nine hundred were twelve students and three teachers from Canyon High.

Students left at 10:15 a.m. by bus. Tables were set with flowers, the book “What difference do it Make?” and an old railroad nail. Chocolate and cheesecake surrounded the centerpiece.

At 11:40 the luncheon began, and Mistress of Ceremony Dawn Wells greeted the guests. The food was served and Msgr. Harold Waldow, Pastor of St. Mary’s Church, blessed of the meal. As the guests ate, a video began to play.

The video talked about a girl with aspirations, goals and family by her side. It talked about how she had made choices that impacted her negatively. After the video, the woman on the video took the stand. Her name is Christal Echols, an Abba House Resident. She is changing her life and wants to be a chef to make life better for her and her son.

Diann Gilmore, DWC Executive Director, stepped up and introduced Ron Hall, the highlight of the afternoon.

Denver Moore was unable to attend the luncheon due to  illness, but guests were able to watch a video with Moore saying hello. He was humorous, and the audience laughed when he joked and laughed when he laughed.

Ron Hall took the stage and spoke. We all listened, intrigued. Mr. Folks said after the luncheon that he was happy to hear Hall refer to Denver so much.

Rick Phillips, DWC Director of Operations, delivered final remarks. The centerpiece, the book, and the railroad nails were for sale. Mrs. Hale purchased all the items and displays them in her room.

On the way out, many donated to the Downtown Women’s Center and were able to get their books signed by Hall who sat near the door. Ten percent of the the earnings of the luncheon went to ARAD (Amarillo Recovery form Alcohol and Drugs).

I was truly inspired by the event.

City Church, located at 205 S. Polk in Amarillo, love and would appreciate more volunteers to help with the young children after school on Thursdays. Fridays you can attend City Church at 6:30 p.m. to enjoy rock climbing with young teens.