The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Push for celebrity full of hot air

If there should ever be an eighth deadly sin, it should be celebrity. The promise of fame and fortune can drive even the sanest people to do insane things. You can frequently see young starlets flashing various parts of their anatomy at paparazzi while under the influence of drugs or alcohol for attention. This can be entertaining in a very sick way. But there is a fine line that must never be crossed on the road to fame. 

The Heene family of Fort Collins, Colorado crossed that line recently with their elaborate hoax involving their six year old son Falcon and a homemade balloon.

Americans glued their eyes to their televisions Oct. 15, watching with bated breath as a silver balloon floated in the sky. It was reported that a child was stuck in the balloon, and both police and military raced to get the balloon to the ground. The child’s parents, Richard and Mayumi Heene, gave tearful comments to the press, expressing fear that their child might be in grave danger.

Then, the balloon finally came to earth, and the truth was revealed. There was no child in the balloon. In an attempt to keep up the hoax, Richard Heene expressed concern that Falcon might have fallen out of the balloon.

However, the gig was up. The Heene’s hoax had been revealed on national TV. Later that night, Falcon was asked why he had hidden in the family’s home while the balloon was in the air.

“You guys said we did it for the show,” the boy said to his father.

Richard Heene still tried to keep the hoax boat afloat, however. He repeatedly denied that they had planned to deceive millions of Americans, even after his wife revealed that they had planned the entire hoax.

We Americans can put up with stars doing stupid things because most of the time, no one is hurt but the star. Nothing, however, will excuse lying to government agencies about the safety of your child in the eyes of the public

Richard and Mayumi Heene are facing several felony charges, including conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and attempting to influence a public servant.

You would never see Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan convicted of indecent exposure. The Heenes crossed a very fine line in gaining celebrity, and now they’ll pay for it.

View Comments (1)