Filed under News, Recent Posts

Chromebook checkout Aug. 20-21

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chromebook checkout Aug. 20-21

Sophomores check out Chromebooks from ChromeSquad members in the Learning Commons during 8th period Monday.

Maryssa Rodriguez

Maryssa Rodriguez

Maryssa Rodriguez

Following freshman and sophomore Chromebook checkout Monday, Aug. 20, junior and senior checkout will take place in the learning commons Tuesday, Aug. 21 during students’ English classes.

Students must pay the $40 Chromebook fee online or in line and need to bring their student ID cards. Students with free or reduced lunch are only required to pay $20 for their device.

Before, only certain students would have a cellphone or a laptop, but now it’s available to every student.”

— Jessica Ray, ChromeSquad director

“Before, only certain students would have a cellphone or a laptop, but now it’s available to every student,” ChromeSquad director Jessica Ray said. “If you can’t afford a Chromebook, and you don’t have internet or a way to access technology, this levels the playing field so every single student can have the same device.”

If damages are noticeable on the device after checkout, Ray said the students should return to the iConnect center in the Learning Commons for further help. Students do not get a warning the first time they break a Chromebook; instead, they will be required to pay a fee of $50 for broken keyboards or screens. ChromeSquad member and junior Erin Bell said the Chromebooks make organizing school work easier on the students.

“It’s important that students can have access to WiFi and technology, so you don’t have to bring six binders to school,” Bell said. “It makes it easier to keep track of all of your school stuff, because it’s all digital. Chromebooks are a wonderful tool for keeping up with classes.”

Students are not required to purchase a Chromebook if they choose to use their own devices, but if the electronics brought by the student breaks in any way, the iConnect center cannot help repair it. However, if students wish to buy one of the Chromebooks following their set checkout date, they can visit the iConnect center and pick up one Aug. 22 to 24.

About the Contributor
Maryssa Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

Hola! Me llamo Maryssa, and I’m a junior working in my second year as a reporter for The Eagle’s Tale. I enjoy drawing, writing and spending time with...