‘The Eagle’s Tale’ sets the pace with national award

The+2015-2016+Eagles+Tale+staff+won+the+NSPA+Pacemaker%2C+which+was+announced+in+Los+Angeles+in+March.++

Lance Culbert

The 2015-2016 Eagle’s Tale staff won the NSPA Pacemaker, which was announced in Los Angeles in March.

Driving to have her prom pictures taken, she anxiously held her phone in her lap. Suddenly the screen lit up with the text she had been expecting for a week, erasing all thoughts of prom as senior newspaper co-editor-in-chief Allison Koontz found out The Eagle’s Tale won a national award.

The online newspaper won a National Scholastic Press Association Pacemaker, an award granted by a board of professionals recognizing content, writing, reporting, photography, design and leadership. The Eagle’s Tale is one of 11 schools with fewer than 1,500 students in the nation to win this honor, and the only one from Texas.

Eleven staff members work daily on the school newspaper website under the supervision of adviser Laura Smith, who missed some weeks of school because of health issues.

“I’m very proud of everything the staff has done this year,” Koontz said. “With Mrs. Smith being gone a lot, we really had to get down to business and make sure we got everything done.”

Our entire staff worked for this and deserved celebration.

— Avery Cummings

Koontz’ co-editor-in-chief, senior Avery Cummings, said she was beyond satisfied with the staff this year.

“Our entire staff worked for this and deserved celebration,” Cummings said. “Our staff has worked so hard to create this amazing product for our readers. I think the consistent work as well as the quality of stories that were put up by every member gave us that competitive edge.”

Despite winning the national award of a Columbia Scholastic Press Association Silver Crown last year, Cummings said she did not expect to win the Pacemaker.

“It was a lot of surprise and a lot of excitement,” Cummings said. “It’s been a weird year, and while our work was good, on a national scale you have to be greater than great. You have to be the best.”

In addition to the award, the NSPA website features a Q&A with The Eagle’s Tale editors. Koontz said she hopes this honor will create a standard of success for the staff.

“It’s very satisfying to see that all your hard work and dedication is paying off and being recognized,” Koontz said. “This award will hopefully motivate the staff to continue all the hard work that we’ve done this year and set some standards for the staff next year.”