The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Choir places 24, two alternates in All-District competition

Twenty-four choir members are headed to all-region auditions after earning chairs in the all-district choir Saturday, Oct. 2.

Only 160 of the 427 students from around the Panhandle who auditioned for the Texas Music Educators Association All-District Choir at Caprock High School were selected for the choir. Twenty students in each of eight sections made the cut. In addition to placing 24 students, Canyon also placed two alternates.

The students who earned the honor are only on the first step of the all-state process. Choir director Brandon Farren said he is pleased with the initial results.

“I couldn’t be more proud of our kids and our program,” Farren said.  ‘I think it’s a pretty good representation of what Canyon’s all about because the kids work hard and have great attitudes and are incredibly talented, and all those together give you the great results we had on Saturday. It’s a really long process to All-State, so we gotta carry those successes we had at District to Region, Area and State.”

The following students will audition for the All-Region choir Nov. 6 at Dumas High School. Each student is listed with their chair (rank) within their section of 20 students.

Soprano 1– Jenci Jones-1, Janae Robinson-2, Kyrstan Haraden-13

Soprano 2– Jessica Crump-1, Marissa Hernandez-2, Hannah Forman-5, Tasneem Alvi-14, Julia Sparks-20

Alto 1– Blair Carpenter-1, Chandess Yerby-2, Alegria Castro-15

Alto 2– Abigail Walsh-5, Rachel Smith-8, Kelsey Wood-17, Jamie Cornett-19

Tenor 1-Alex Matthews-7

Tenor 2-Trey Glenn-2, Zach Wilcox-11

Bass 1– Christian Farren-10, Mark Warren-16, Bryson Shaw-17, Trevor Ferril-19, Preston Jordan-20

Bass 2– Hayden Williams-11