The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Culinary arts students serve at fundraiser

Jenna Bush Hager spoke Friday at the civic center during the inaugural Power of the Purse fundraiser on behalf of her mother’s institute to raise money for the InfantRisk center in Amarillo.

More than 700 guests attended the event to bid on designer purses to benefit the center that will provide women with free professional medical advice. The Laura W. Bush Institute for women’s health is the leading supporter of the call center.

“The Laura Bush Women’s Health Center is one of the top priorities at Texas Tech,” Texas Tech Chancellor Kent Hance said. “We need to come up with more money to do everything we want to do. Little babies will be saved in Amarillo, Texas because of the efforts of this community.”

CISD culinary arts students received the honor of serving the meal at the event and prepared the purse shaped dinner rolls for the event. Lead caterer Becky McKinley from Dining by Design said having the students serve was an answer to her prayers. McKinley, along with caterer and Cattle Call owner Colby Monroe, catered the event.

“We were supposed to have three little sandwiches for this event, but because we didn’t have to pay 60 people, we were able to spend more on the food,” Monroe said.

More than $150,000 has already been raised for the health center, which will grow to be a worldwide contributor. Jenna Bush Hager congratulated the community and encouraged others to continue giving to those less fortunate.

“It is a privilege and responsibility to share some part of yourself with people in need,” Bush said.