The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Flu concerns alter absence policy

Semester exam exemption attendance requirements for all students will be altered this year because of H1N1 virus.

Juniors and seniors must still have on average of 80 or above in each class to be exempt.  Students can now have five absences one semester and three absences the other.  Two college days per year are given and will not count against exemption absences.

Freshmen and sophomores can gain exemption from spring exams by passing the corresponding subject area portion of the TAKS test.  For freshman, these courses include math and English, while sophomores can be exempt from all four core classes.

The district encourages attendance, but asks students to stay home if they are ill, in an effect to control the spread of sickness.

School nurse Susan Stach said she encourages students to get both vaccines.

“There are two shots available, the seasonal flu vaccine and an immunization for H1N1,” Stach said.  “I recommend both.”

Every fourth Tuesday at Reeves-Hinger Elementary School a CARE VAN clinic is available from 2:30-4:30p.m. for all who want an immunization at a lower price.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends four ways to remain healthy and safe from the flu. 

1. Practice good hygiene by washing your hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing and sneezing.  Alcohol based hand cleaners are also effective.
  2. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.  If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder; not into your hands.
  3. Stay home if you are sick for at least 24 hours after there is no longer a fever or signs of a fever (without the use of fever-reducing medicine).  Keeping sick students at home means that they keep their viruses to themselves rather than sharing with others.
  4. Get vaccinated for seasonal flu and 2009 H1N1 flu when vaccines are available.