The online newspaper of Canyon High School

FFA advances to Area competition

Forty five FFA members competed in the District Leadership Development Events competition in Borger on Wednesday, Nov. 9. The members competed in 14 different competitions and seven teams will be advancing to the area round of competition at West Texas A&M this Saturday.

FFA has four events remaining in the spring, and their performance at District allowed them to clinch the district Sweepstakes for the chapter.

“I am very excited about the results in Borger,” agriculture teacher Jeff Klose said. “It is nice for the Canyon FFA, Canyon High School, and the community of Canyon to have an agriculture program that is working toward being the greatest program in Texas and represents this rich and diverse agricultural area.”

FFA competitions are not divided into classification of size, so schools ranging from 1A to 5A competed against one another. The seven teams that will advance to the area competition tomorrow won either 1st place or 2nd place at district.

“There is some very stiff competition in our area,” Klose said. “I know the teams will do their absolute best because they are very competitive students.”

If the Canyon teams place well at the area competition, they will advance to the state competition in Huntsville the week after Thanksgiving.