The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Prom Closet open for business

Prom Closet open for business

Tucked away in an obscure bookroom at the end of the 1100 hallway is the newest fashion boutique in town.

The American Sign Language Honor Society is hosting the Prom Dress Closet which allows girls who don’t want to spend much on a prom dress rent one for only $20.  Teachers, current students, and even former students are donating dresses of all colors and sizes. 

“It gives girls more options,” ASL teacher Traci Prather said.

Upon donating, a picture will be taken of the front and the back of the dress, which will be cleaned before it’s returned to the owner.  The person renting the dress will have to sign a contract stating that the dress will be returned in the same condition it was when rented.

Tuxes will also be available to rent for $25 under the same conditions as the dresses.

ASL teacher Chelsea Phemister brought the idea over from Caprock.

“When I worked at Caprock HS they had one, and tons of my students would rent instead of buy,” Phemister said.  “I thought ‘why not bring it over here?’”

In most circumstances girls spend over a hundred dollars on a beautiful dress that they will only wear one time, making renting a dress a better deal. 

The Prom Dress Closet provides more opportunities for girls and guys to get formal dresses at a low cost.  On average prom dresses cost anywhere $200-$400 and tuxes range from $100-$200.  Girls and boys will have the same diversity to choose from but for a lower cost.

The closet will open Monday, April 5 and end Friday May 14.  It will be open every Monday, Wednesday and Friday until 4:30 pm.