The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Blood Drive

As the nurse prepped the equipment, senior Vincente Saldana waited with his nerves buzzing as he prepared himself to give blood for the first time.

Thursday, Feb 25 Key Club sponsored its semi-annual spring blood drive for the Coffee Memorial Blood Center. One unit of blood donated can help up to three people. Ninety-three units of blood were donated by the students and staff. One hundred six people attempted to donate.

“I was nervous,” Saldana said. “I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know if it would hurt or if it was going to be something painless. So the whole time I was there I told myself I could always back out right then and I wouldn’t have to go through it. But I didn’t, and I’m really glad I did it.”

Saldana said he was glad to be a part of something helpful.

“I knew that if I was going to give blood I was going to help someone and if you can, there’s really no reason not to,” Saldana said. “It’s such a helpful thing. You can help people when you give blood. Some people really need it, and you know it’s not like you’re going to lose all your blood. You’re only losing a pint.”

After giving blood Saldana said he was satisfied and sure to relive the experience.

“I felt kind of good,” Saldana said. “I felt happy that I donated blood, and a little dizzy, but still good. I liked it. Definitely, if I get a change again, I’ll do it every time.”