The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Chapter celebrates National FFA Week

FFA members participated in National FFA week through community service and agriculture education Feb. 20-27.

FFA week begins on former President George Washington’s birthday. FFA is devoted to following the practices of his leadership, ethics and success.  This was the first year the Canyon High School chapter participated in events during FFA week.

Sophomore officer Landry Keith said FFA has affected him since he was a child, and he hoped the week’s events would affect others in the same way.

“I practice leadership with speaking skills and leadership skills that I’ve learned in FFA,” Keith said. “FFA has made a big impact in my life with the many people I have met and the many opportunities it presents.”

Officers traveled to Canyon Junior High Monday, Feb. 22 for a 30-minute recruitment assembly including an informational presentation about opportunities available through FFA.  Officers also were interviewed by KGNC FM about involvement in the Canyon High chapter and broadcasted over the radio on 710 AM Monday. Students provided a faculty appreciation breakfast Wednesday Feb. 24 and offered an educational petting zoo at Crestview and Reeves Hinger elementary schools during the school day Friday Feb. 25.  The petting zoo included horses, pigs, rabbits, calves, goats and chickens.

“The petting zoo was a great learning experience for the little kids,” Keith said. “It reminded me of how I was exposed to agricultural at that age.”

Senior president Casey Sciacca said the chapter has been more successful this year than many others in the past. More than 50 students are enrolled as members, with the program growing significantly.

“The success we’ve shared this year as a chapter continues to amaze me,” Sciacca said. “I hope and pray they will be even more or just as successful next year.”