The online newspaper of Canyon High School

MOBSTERS INK mission to raise funds by recycling

Saving the environment and sending students to college one cartridge at a time, MOBSTERS INK recycles old ink cartridges they collect from businesses from around town. The group, run by the PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association), visits businesses, churches and homes as often as requested to collect cartridges. The cartridges are then taken to local recyclers, mailed to company refunds and sent to a plastic recycler in New Jersey that recycles ink cartridges. The money earned from this goes into a scholarship fund.

PTSA representative Sandra Allison said that MOBSTERS INK has three major goals.

• To recycle used copier ink cartridges rather than poison and clog up our landfill.
  • To provide funding for the CHS scholarship program by using the recycled funds for the money to be awarded to CHS seniors each spring.
  • To provide fellowship for CHS students as they collect cartridges and join efforts in a community service project.

Allison also said that MOBSTERS INK is a play off the title of the Pixar movie, Monsters Inc.

“We use the mobster theme to grab attention to the fact that the group or individuals make “hits” or visits to the stores to collect their used copier ink cartridges,” Allison said. “The attire is zoot suits, gangsta’ hats, dark sunglasses, and an occasional violin case (to collect cartridges in, of course).”

There are 70 members of MOBSTERS INK, but students can join at any time throughout the year to help the effort.