Filed under Blogs

‘Dad ate too much turkey’

Norman, Katie, Whitney, Deedy, Mackenzie and Norman Grimes gather at a family Christmas dinner.

Courtesy of Grimes family

Courtesy of Grimes family

My family of seven people, with kids ranging in age from 30 to 16, possess a wide variety of personalities, volumes and characteristics. While having one of the loudest families, it is almost impossible for the youngest, like me, to talk at the dinner table. Along with that, there are four dogs running around while the Cowboys are blaring on the TV.  

When every family member and dog is finally settled down at the table, the conversations begin. Like a lot of families, gatherings bring the question, “Who are you dating now?” or “How’s school going?” No matter what you say … your answer is a lie.  

When the conversations get going a little more, my dad will begin to tell stories that we’ve all heard probably more than five times. Although, each time we hear them, they get a little more exciting and untrue. Except for a particular Thanksgiving, when my dad started getting very excited about a story. He began to talk and we all heard a crack. We didn’t know what it was, but then we heard it again. He’s still talking because it does dot phase him. However, while he is talking, we heard an even louder crack and my dad busted to the floor.  

The best part was he sprang right back up and tried to play off that he did not just crack the chair in half. He immediately began his story again like nothing happened, but we were all dying with laughter.  

My sister snapped a picture of it, and posted on Facebook with the comment, “Dad ate too much turkey!” The chair, to this day, is still with us and we still laugh every time we think about it.  

My family is full of these types of moments all the time. Although we all make fun of each other and embarrass ourselves, we still cherish every moment together.

About the Writer
Mackenzie Grimes, Staff Reporter
Hello. I am Mackenzie Grimes and in the last year of my high school career. I enjoy writing, fishing, competing in track and field, working out, and being with friends and family. God is a huge part of my life and the center of all the things I love and enjoy. I am more than...