New restaurant puts the ‘buen’ in ‘buenos dias’

Never has a restaurant quite captured the essence of comfort food. While most restaurants think comfort food is anything deep fried and slathered in grease, Buenos Dias serves customers with filling, fresh and flavorful food.

Between the mugs and the chairs, I felt like I had been invited to the Mad Hatter’s tea party.

— Macy McClish, 11

The building, previously known as KJ’s, though the same from the outside, the interior is completely remodeled. The first to catch the customer’s eye are the wooden frames dangling from the ceiling, serving both a practical purpose and adding to the restaurant’s artistic and whimsical feel. Instead of being seated before ordering, customers order and pay at the counter and then find a table. I found this odd at first, however the system worked well and allowed service to flow much easier. This also lets customers leave immediately after finishing their meal without having to worry about acquiring the ticket.

Buenos Dias is open Tuesday through Saturday, 6:30 a.m.–2 p.m. and Sunday 7:30 a.m.–2 p.m. They provide both breakfast and lunch daily, offering everything from enchiladas to chicken and waffles. The abundance of choices makes it easy for even a picky family to all find something each would enjoy.

The menu encompasses various Hispanic and southern dishes. I ordered coffee and the cinnamon waffle, one of many options. For those who order coffee or hot tea, a mug wall lets customers to pick their own unique mug to fill. After picking a yellow geometric mug from their “coffee corner” and filling it to the brim with a great, smooth brew, the brightly colored chairs seemed more than welcoming. Between the mugs and the chairs, I felt like I had been invited to the Mad Hatter’s tea party. 

The wait was short and pleasant with the eye-catching mural. Appearing as a blackboard, the north wall is covered in swirling, appetizing words and beautiful drawings. Before I knew it, my waffle had been delivered with wonderful service. Being a baker myself, I hold certain foods to a high standard. When ordering, I did not think there would be enough cinnamon for my liking, but I was pleasantly surprised. The waffle was just crunchy enough and baked to perfection. Not only was the balance of cinnamon to waffle spot-on, but the whip cream on top tied it all up in a nice, neat, fluffy, white bow.

The prices were respectable and worth every penny. The quick service, great food and welcoming atmosphere makes Buenos Dias the perfect spot for families and friends.

About the Contributor
Macy McClish, Associate Editor

Hey guys, I'm Macy McClish and I'm a junior. This is my second year on staff, and I'm so excited to serve as one of the three associate editors. I'm the...