Tale as old as time delivers Disney dream come true

+Belle%27s+book+and+a+magical+rose+keep+the+plot+moving+in+Disney%27s+Beauty+and+the+Beast.
 Belle's book and a magical rose keep the plot moving in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

Aryauna Thompson

Aryauna Thompson

The lights dim and the audience can feel a sudden buzz of energy radiate throughout the theater. Scattered across the crowd, girls in tiny, bright yellow dresses squirm in their seats. Anticipation takes over as a beloved castle flashes on the big screen with familiar music playing softly in the background. The crowd has awaited this film for over a year, and Disney has yet again made dreams come true.

Holding true to the original, Disney’s newest film, Beauty and the Beast was nothing short of incredible. From the casting and acting to the music and scenery, the film seemed to lack nothing. Through pure Disney magic, the tale as old as time truly came to life for the audience.

On top of the leading genius, every enchanted companion nailed their part flawlessly.”

— Aryauna Thompson, 10

Lucy Bevan is a genius. Many eyes scan past her name while looking for those credited with creating this masterpiece, but without her work choosing the cast, the movie would not have been as amazing. She chose the perfect fit for each role. Emma Watson outgrew her wizarding faze as Hermione Granger, but kept her magical tendencies by becoming one of Disney’s most beloved princesses. Dan Stevens created a real man out of a beast, while Luke Evans managed to create a real beast out of a man in his role as Gaston.

On top of the leading genius, every enchanted companion nailed their part flawlessly. While many know them as Gandalf, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Nanny McPhee, these actors’ roles in Beauty and the Beast took completely different forms of fantasy. Ian McKellan, Ewan McGregor and Emma Thompson seemed to truly transform in their roles. It is easy to believe none could have been more successful in bringing their characters to life.

Much more than a children’s tale, the film filled in some plot-holes from the original animation. No longer do we wonder what happened to Belle’s mother and Beast’s parents. We do not see Belle’s father, Maurice, as crazy, but as a real genius. While some may criticize for this addition of explanation, the inclusion of the scenes only made the movie more substantial and real.

Every adored song from the original movie came to life again, along with subtle but brilliant references to Broadway melodies and even some new original songs.”

— Aryauna Thompson, 10

This unique life brought to the big screen was only emphasized by the outstanding music. Alan Menken, who composed the music for the animated Beauty and the Beast in 1991, came back to yet again blow away audiences with his new spin on the Disney classic. Every adored song from the original movie came to life again, along with subtle but brilliant references to Broadway melodies and even some new original songs. Every aspect of the music highlighted the beauty of the film.

Everything was brilliant. The set decoration by Katie Spencer made the audience feel as though they were seeing 19th century France, and the costume design by Jacqueline Durran was understated, but dazzling. Belle was portrayed as a princess, but was also recognized as a human being. The film truly showed that beauty takes many forms, but the most important is that which comes from within.

About the Contributor
Aryauna Thompson, Staff Reporter
Hello! This is my third year as an Eagle’s Tale staff reporter, and I am excited to yet again be a part of such an amazing team and phenomenal group of journalists. Outside of the Eagle’s Tale, I am involved in the Soaring Pride Band, UIL Academics, various honors societies and the PRO internship program....
1 Comment

One Response to “Tale as old as time delivers Disney dream come true”

1. James Barrington on March 28th, 2017 8:16 am

Brilliantly written, Aryauna. I’m glad you enjoyed the movie and gave it a review far more insightful than some I have seen from so called professional reviewers.

[Reply]

*

• Tale as old as time delivers Disney dream come true

Arts & Entertainment

Restaurant ‘Stix’ with great taste

Arts & Entertainment

Squeezy Street provides new fruity flavor to Canyon

Food and Dining

Barrel & Pie offers unique pizzas, dining experience

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Westing Game’ an enthralling children’s mystery

Arts & Entertainment

‘Recreation’ eating experience offers retro taste

Arts & Entertainment

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ an emotional marvel

Arts & Entertainment

‘Ready Player One’ entertaining, but shallow

Arts & Entertainment

Three Peeps for new flavors

Arts & Entertainment

‘MANIA’ infuses old motifs with modern ideas

Arts & Entertainment

‘Black Panther’ shines with insight, nuance