Netflix series ‘Jessica Jones’ brings new spin to superhero genre

Back to Article
Back to Article

Krysten Ritter starred in "Marvel's Jessica Jones," about an alcoholic ex-superhero suffering from serious PTSD. (Myles Aronowitz/Netflix)

TNS

TNS

TNS

Netflix original series have been some of the most viewed content on the popular movie streaming site. Critically acclaimed titles such as, “Orange is the New Black,” “Sense8” and “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” have been some of the company’s most popular works. With a bar set high for outstanding content, Netflix’s newest series “Jessica Jones” delivers an entertaining and thrilling plot perfect for binge watching.

The series, based off the Marvel comic books, is set in present-day New York City and follows the life of a retired superhero Jessica Jones, who has the power of super strength and limited flight abilities. Jessica, played by Krysten Ritter, works as a private investigator and is hired by a couple to find their daughter Hope, who has recently gone missing.

The series provides a revitalizing twist to a familiar superhero genre. The show explores the toll that the duties of a superhero take on someone after they have retired. Jessica battles post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and an alcohol addiction while she continues to help bring Kilgrave to justice, often forced to face some of the hardest parts of her troubled past in order to do so.

The series also utilizes a strong female lead in a genre that features predominantly male protagonists. ”

— Tanner Cromeens

The series also utilizes a strong female lead in a genre that features predominantly male protagonists. Krysten Ritter’s petite and feminine stature skillfully masks Jessica’s super strength in a surprising and almost comical manner. Throughout the show, Jessica defeats grown men twice her size in hand-to-hand combat. Jessica’s strong personality, witty banter and sarcastic attitude gives the show a source of comic relief, and also shows the viewer Jessica is just as tough as other male super heroes.

“Jessica Jones” is a show that gives viewers the convenience of watching the show at their own pace and the portability of watching the show on mobile devices through the Netflix App. The show is only available on Netflix, and the entire first season can be watched at any time, wherever the viewer has an internet connection. The show attracts superhero fans as well as people who do not typically enjoy superhero movies. Both will enjoy the show’s atypical story line, characters and overall mood that sets the show apart from others in its genre.

About the Writer
Tanner Cromeens, Staff Reporter

Hey! I’m Tanner Cromeens, and this is my second year on the Eagle’s Tale Staff. I am a varsity cheerleader, and I enjoy reading, watching TV shows,...