• July 20Look for us on Facebook as The Eagle's Tale and on Twitter and Instgram @EaglesTaleEds

Not ‘Already Gone’

Classic album leaves lasting impressions following musician's death

Senior Ryleigh Thompson holds the Eagle's vinyl album

Senior Ryleigh Thompson holds the Eagle's vinyl album "Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)". The album can be purchased online and in local music stores.

Laura Smith

Laura Smith

Glenn Frey, age 67, died Monday, Jan. 18. As the founding member of the Eagles, Frey made an enormous impact in the world of music. From “Desperado,” to “Hotel California,” Frey’s voice has carried through the decades and will be greatly missed by fans far and wide. This review of the album “Their Greatest Hits,” is a tribute to Glenn Frey and the wonderful music brought about by the band in their early days.

The Eagles have the best of their songs all in one smooth record. The album begins with the lovely static of the record player, with the hush and calm suddenly disrupted by the beautiful sound of an acoustic guitar. “Take it Easy,” performed by Glenn Frey, is a perfect preface to the entirety of the album, bringing a nostalgic warm feeling to any Eagles’ fan listening.

This album is carefully aligned to keep one wanting more with each song.”

— Ryleigh Thompson

I came across this album by accident and quickly fell in love with the smooth, real and wonderful sound produced by these talented artists. These songs came about early in the band’s career and truly defined the era in which they were produced. This album is carefully aligned to keep one wanting more with each song.

While these songs play, it is impossible to think about shutting down the player without listening until the end. Don Henley and Glenn Frey have historic voices. When “Witchy Woman” begins to play, the clear, looming harmonies create a wonderful environment in any atmosphere. “Lyin eyes” brings you into a heartfelt story about the struggles of various people. Soon, spirits are lifted with the freeing and uplifting “Already Gone,” a song that makes a listener crave a long drive. The memorable song “Desperado” brings tears to my eyes as I hear the story of a man seeking love, brought to life by a guitar.

Youtube

Side B of the record certainly does not disappoint, beginning with the heavy guitar of “One of These Nights,” a song that spins a story to make a listener sway. “Tequila Sunrise,” a soft drowsy sound, fills the ears with satisfaction. When “Take It to The Limit” introduces itself, it is easy to rise and fall with the voice of Henley telling a tale of love. “Peaceful Easy Feeling,” a song that certainly gives the same feeling as the name describes, helps to slow down the album and give new tone leading to the last song. Finally, the soft strums of “Best of My Love” starts with a tug at the heart strings. A soft break up song ties up the record, and with the last strum, brings back the static that brought us to the beginning. This surely will be a record old fans with flip over again and again. Lasting around 30 minutes, this album perfectly defines the early career of the Eagles.

Surely, the memory of Glenn Frey will live on through his music, his life recorded in the grooves of vinyl. A musician, a producer and a true artist, Frey will certainly be remembered.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Not ‘Already Gone’”

1. Lorraine Ramon on January 21st, 2016 4:18 pm

Gd job Ryleigh,proud of you.

[Reply]

2. Beth Wilson on January 29th, 2016 10:06 pm

So grateful that I was able to take my son to see the Eagles in concert in Charlotte,NC, in 2009. The first time that I saw the Eagles was back in the 70s. Ticket prices started out around $3.75 to $7.50. I can not remember what I paid. It was definitely worth a lot more. They played in Greensboro, NC. I went with a friend from Virginia and we were so happy and stoned that we misplaced his ’73 Triumph Midget. Oh well we finally found it. The concert was enough to get you high on the music, much less the familar smell of pot, everywhere. They forever will be one of my very favorite bands. They endured through thick and thin. R.I.P. Mr. Glenn Frey. We have lost one of the great songwriters and musicians of our life and times. See ya, someday.

[Reply]

*

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

Restaurant ‘Stix’ with great taste

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

Squeezy Street provides new fruity flavor to Canyon

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Food and Dining

Barrel & Pie offers unique pizzas, dining experience

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

‘The Westing Game’ an enthralling children’s mystery

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

‘Recreation’ eating experience offers retro taste

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ an emotional marvel

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

‘Ready Player One’ entertaining, but shallow

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

Three Peeps for new flavors

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

‘MANIA’ infuses old motifs with modern ideas

• Not ‘Already Gone’

Arts & Entertainment

‘Black Panther’ shines with insight, nuance

Not ‘Already Gone’