Blue October shows true colors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blue October shows true colors

Junior Avery Cummings attended Justin Furstenfeld's

Junior Avery Cummings attended Justin Furstenfeld's "An Open Book" concert in Amarillo Sept. 6.

Justin Furstenfeld of Blue October performed his “An Open Book” show at Ordway Hall in Amarillo College Saturday, Sept. 6. The show consisted of Furstenfeld playing and acoustic version of songs from his rock-style band, Blue October.

Before the show, Furstenfeld hosted a short meet-and-greet in which he played one of his older songs, answered several questions, did a cover of one of his favorite songs, and then answered several more questions. Afterwards, he signed a complimentary poster and took pictures with the audience members.

The show lasted for about two and a half hours, but I wished it was even longer.”

— Avery Cummings

The show took place in a very intimate setting, the 450-seat house full, and several people stood in the back to watch the show. Local musician Ashleigh Stone opened the show and performed several songs on her bedazzled keyboard. It was nice to see a local face who is a talented performer. Furstenfeld then introduced himself and began his acoustic session.

Between each song, Furstenfeld told the story behind each song, telling his life story with both laughs and melancholy silences. Each song was from a Blue October album and ranged from their older albums to their newest one. People of all ages were allowed to attend the concert; however, Furstenfeld was fond of inappropriate words. Even with this, he is a generous and humorous man. Actually, he and his stage manager lowered the ticket prices after being asked by Amarillo College. He was very comfortable with the audience, and he sounded like his album recordings. Furstenfeld sang each song with an incredible amount of emotion, and played them in his own style.  He ended the show with an intense a cappella version of his song “Bleed Out,” which he wrote from what he believed to be his wife’s, Sarah, point of view of him during a troubled time in his life.

The show lasted for about two and a half hours, but I wished it was even longer. The audience was well-behaved, and the concert was filled with beautiful music. The concert was worth the money and time, and I would go again, but this time, I would invite every rock music-oriented person I know.

About the Contributor
Avery Cummings, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Hola! My name is Avery Cummings, and I am the Co-Editor-in-Chief this year. This is my third year on our amazing staff. In what little free time I have,...