The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Mickey Mouse to be next Jedi Knight

Disney has its newest princess. Her name is Princess Leia.

Disney purchased Lucas Arts entertainment, including the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones and all other films produced by them, for 4.05 billion dollars earlier this week. Disney has also announced that they are preparing for the next Star Wars trilogy. The only problem is George Lucas, the mastermind behind all of the previous Star Wars, isn’t the director. Although Lucas says he has already written the plot for the next three movies, he has stepped down to a mere consultant on the project. He has given the reigns to Kathleen Kennedy, a longtime associate of Steven Spielberg.

“I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,” Lucas said according to Forbes magazine. “I’m confident with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy.”

Some Star Wars fans are very worried about Disney being in control of the next trilogy. But Disney hasn’t ruined other franchises before, so those die hard Star Wars fan should not be disheartened. In 2006 Disney purchased Pixar for 7.4 billion dollars and had a helping hand in famous movies “Up” and “Toy Story 3”. In 2009 Disney purchased Marvel Entertainment for 4.2 billion and Disney did not ruin Marvel’s the “Avenger’s” and most of the movies leading up to it.

“I’m doing this so the films will have a longer life, so that more fans and people can enjoy them in the future,” Lucas said in a YouTube video on the official Star Wars website. “It’s a very big universe I created, and there are a lot of stories that are sitting in there.”