The online newspaper of Canyon High School

Palace Coffee Company serves up new culture for town square

Hot java, cool people and warm feelings await you at Palace Coffee Company, Canyon’s newest hangout on the Square.

Palace, which opened its doors in July in the first floor of the Smith Building, is a fusion of coffee culture, local art and musicians and feels much like a hole-in-the-wall coffee shop in a huge city like New York rather than small-town Canyon, Texas. Owners Patrick and Kristal Burns still keep Palace feeling local as they, along with their merry bunch of baristas, learn the names of all their regulars and generally remember the favored beverages of all who enter.

I could not help but visit Palace on the first day they opened, curious as any to check out a new establishment in Canyon that was not an Asian food restaurant. The mixture of modern design and a hodgepodge of garage sale and fine antique furniture appealed to me as the sort of atmosphere where I could spend a lot of time in a corner reading or sharing a conversation with friends. I have, since then, done both many times.

Palace is not like a coffee shop I have ever visited. Unlike some shops that seem to cater to the daily hustle and bustle of the busy world, Palace encourages you to come in and relax awhile. They hold a growing collection of books and board games, and walking in to see the baristas in a competitive match of chess is common.

Along with all of this, the sense of community spirit Palace gives off is undeniable. From the diverse patrons of the company, to the way they integrate community artists’ work on their walls, feature musicians’ talents in their Palace Room, and include products from other stores such as Bistro to Go’s sandwiches and The Cake Company’s pastries, this place is definitely a group effort.

All in all, Palace Coffee Company is a great addition to our community for people of all ages and types, and is a place I hope to continue visiting now, and for years to come.