The online newspaper of Canyon High School

PBS brings ‘Sherlock’ into 21st century

PBS brings Sherlock into 21st century

Sherlock Holmes. When most people hear the name of the famous literary detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, they think of the foggy, cobbled streets of Victorian England and the characteristic pipe and hat of Holmes himself. But in the new series “Sherlock”, which airs on PBS at 8 p.m. on Sunday nights, Holmes has been translated into the modern world.  

Benedict Cumberbatch plays the titular detective and does a superb job of conveying the brilliance and caustic personality of Holmes. Unlike the 1984 series, “Sherlock” also explores the more unlikable aspects of Holmes, such as his sociopathic tendencies and anti-social behavior. Dr. John Watson is played by Martin Freeman, who brings a more sarcastic and scathing side to the character. Cumberbatch and Freeman have excellent chemistry and make the strained relationship between the two characters even more believable.

And let’s not forget the mysteries. The first episode revolves around a string of serial suicides that are Holmes and Watson become involved in after the police find a dead woman wearing all pink. The second episode has Holmes and Watson trying to stop a vicious Chinese smuggling ring that murders those who have betrayed them. Finally, the third, and last, episode, is about Holmes engaging in a battle of wits against a bomber. The mysteries are well set up and the audience is strung along as Holmes and Watson delve into the cases.

Overall, “Sherlock” is a wonderful British crime drama that delivers thrills and laughs and truly sells Holmes as a new sleuth for the 21st century.